14 April 2025

NaPoWriMo 2025 (part I)

Yes, I know it's already the 14th, but I didn't think about posting my poems here until now. Oops. I'll do a few posts to spread them out though.

Mezzotint

The soft screech of metal on metal
Echoes of the noises in my mind
I smooth away the imperfections
Burnishing the jagged lines
Ink seeps in the crevices
The stark relief of black on bronze
The fibres of the parchment sheet
Capture every varied tone
The rhythm and the repetition
Brush and ink and rags and tint
I smooth away my imperfections
And etch my heart in every print


Social Transactions

O, self creators
Mistresses of makery
Masters of testosterone
And artists of non-binary

Strip away your carapace
Reveal your inner glory
Sculpting flesh and bone
To your gender ideology

Our future is in stasis
For the progress of society
Is slow as metamorphosis
But just as worth the journey

So raise your hands and hearts
Find and forge a family
Live the truth within yourself
Transition to your beauty


Why am I an artist?

I am not an artist because I create art
Just as I am not a sleeper because I sleep
And I am not a worker because I work
I ask the sparrow if he is a singer
    because he sings
And he says, "No
    I sing because I am a bird"
I ask the flounder if she is a swimmer
    because she swims
And she says, "No,   
    I swim because I am a fish"
I ask the gazelle if she is a runner
    because she runs
and she says, "No,
    I run because I am a gazelle"
So I am not an artist
    because I create art
I create art because
I am
    Alive

No comments:

Post a Comment